Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Serenity Now

Gilles and I were fully aware that we would be confronted with many frustrating situations while here in France. We expected most to be in the beginning, while setting up services and learning how things work in a different country. Life can be challenging at the best of times in one’s own country, but throw in the additional hurdle of not having full command of the language and it becomes especially difficult. Until now, we have been incredibly patient. We are here to experience life in a new country, challenges included. Today, however, my month-long battle with the bank has put me at my wit’s end. So because I could not yell at the bank manager (not because I didn’t want to, but I truly don’t know how to argue in French; it is something left out of the French Immersion curriculum), I am venting my frustrations in this blog entry.

The bank functions very differently in France than in Canada. For example, there are no tellers at our bank, only a welcome/information desk, bank machines and several offices where my friend the bank manager and other employees have meetings with clients. Our first such meeting was when we visited Pau in June. We thought we had set up our accounts at that time, and that everything would be functioning properly when we moved here. Turns out, we were wrong.

Another difference is with Visa cards. To use the ‘carte bancaire’ or ‘carte bleue’ here, one requires a four-digit code that is provided by the bank instead of a signature. I will give them credit here, as the code is certainly more secure than a signature. If a card is stolen, it cannot be used unless the thief knows the secret code. The money that one puts on the ‘carte bancaire’ MUST be paid monthly. Certainly not how a credit card works in Canada. This is not necessarily a bad thing because it limits people from living beyond their means.

Now that you have a general idea of the system, here are my issues. In June, we set up our accounts to be joint; that is, we would each have equal privileges to the accounts. When we arrived in September, we were each given a code to access our checking account online. So far, so good. However, only Gilles received a carte bancaire (Visa) with a confidential code. Because I am unemployed and have plenty of time to run errands, I am the one who does all the shopping, thus I require my own carte bancaire. We figured this must have been an oversight on the bank’s part, so we returned and ordered a card for myself. A week later the card arrived without a confidential code. I assumed that my code must be the same as Gilles’ because why would the bank issue a card without the code that is required to use it? Turns out, our codes are not the same. I discovered this while trying to use the card at a store and got rejected. Back to the bank I go to order a confidential code. Even now, my blood is starting to boil as I think of how absurd this is. Anyway, I return to the bank several days later, and they have no code for me. In fact, my last request magically disappeared! So I make yet another request for a code, which they assure me will be ready Friday, or Saturday at the latest (they are open Saturdays but not Mondays). I stop by Friday: no code. The smiling lady at the welcome desk informs me they have a quota for how many codes can processed in a day, and it is particularly busy right now. She says it will be ready Saturday. I want to punch her.

I decide to wait and return to the bank on Tuesday. By then it has to be ready, right? I am sure you know the answer: it is not ready! This time, it was the smiling bank manager who does not speak a word of English who broke the bad news. The worst part is I don’t even think that they consider this to be absolutely ridiculous. They don’t apologize, just smile and wish me a good afternoon as I storm out. Banks are thieves, so one would think that getting an active bank card full of hidden fees into my hands would be a priority. Clearly, it is not. So, I think I am done with banks. Maybe I will just start stashing money under my mattress.

2 comments:

Norman Brown said...

Re "Serenity now"
Ah, I see the problem, and the answer is a Capital One card!! Too bad your not here (Canada) to see the Capital One advertisements - it depicts Bankers as I'm sure you now see them after your fiasco with the Bank in Pau. I'll bring a "festivus tree" with me when I come for Christmas and you can take out your frustrations as we grather around the festivus tree and celebrate festivus for the rest of us!!

Love,
Dad

Debbie Bunka said...

I love reading your blog. It always makes me giggle.

Miss you lots!!

Love the little car.

db