Monday, July 19, 2010

Canadian Summer






It's been awhile since I have posted, and I guess quite a bit is new since that Bordeaux trip in May. For one, I am not in France: I am in my old bedroom in my parents' house in Miramichi. On June 30, we packed up the whole family (including our two cats), and headed to Canada. Gilles returned a few days later for a month's work in Holland, and Xavier, Sherpa, Alamo, and myself have settled into hot and humid Miramichi.

It was a long, 24-hour trip to get here. After what seemed like an already long day, we arrived in Quebec City with a seven hour drive ahead of us to get to Miramichi. Thankfully, my parents greeted us at the airport, so we were not the ones behind the wheel. And in true New Brunswick fashion, two moose crossed our path on the road not long after we entered the province; a greeting of sorts, I suppose.

I did not make it 'home' last year, so it is a nice treat to be able to enjoy the summer here. It's a win-win situation for all: the grandparents get to spend quality time with Xavier (Gilles' parents have been up for two visits), Xavier gets the royal treatment, and I have plenty of help. I have actually started running again with my dad, while my mom takes over babysitting duties. Xavier's favourite new activity is swimming, and with the endless hot days, he has had ample opportunity to practice his doggy-paddle.

I know Gilles finds it hard being away for so long, especially since Xavier changes almost every day, but he joins us in early August for a month of traveling and visiting family and friends. And I have a feeling the summer will be over before we know it, and we'll be making that long return trip back to France.

1 comment:

Dorothy Schultz said...

Looks like you are having a great time! I know that I always like staying with the folks with Logan...built in babysitters who are eager to do it give you a lot of freedom. I got a chuckle about you staying in your old room though. Who says you "can't go home again"!

Luv D,D&L